Visa regulation

Depending on your citizenship, your country of residence, length and purposes of your stay, you may need to obtain a visa before coming to Italy.

Students should contact the Italian Consulate or Embassy in their home country to find out what to do. It is strongly recommended to start all relevant visa applications as soon as possible because you MUST be in possession of the visa for study upon arrival in Italy.

There are two types of visa: short term (Uniform Schengen Visa. type - up to 90 days) and long term (National Visa type more than 90 days). Both types of visa are issued by the Italian Consulate or Embassy in their home country.

Detailed information on how to apply (depending on the citizenship, the duration and reasons for the stay, the necessity or not of visa according to the country of origin, etc) and necessary documents are available on the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.The visa processing to the Italian Consular Representation by students need to be supported by an invitation and admission letter by the University of Basilicata including the declaration of the availability in Potenza or Matera of appropriate lodgings. For this purposes we must be informed of the following data: number of prospective students, their personal data and address and CV, the exact length of student’s stay in Italy, and the monthly subsistence allowance. Moreover we need of a copy of the student’s passport and of the taken out accident, third party liability and medical insurance policy. It is recommended to send the above documents at least 3 months before.

EU/EEA and Switzerland students

 Students from the European Union Member States or the EEA countries may move freely without the need for a study visa.

Students with EU citizenship (and citizens coming from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) can live in Italy for 3 months without incurring in any legal obligation.

If the stay is longer than three months but still temporary (as an exchange student i.e.), at the end of the 3rd month, students must carry out a compulsory registration (iscrizione allo schedario della popolazione temporanea) at the municipality offices. Applications must be submitted to the "Ufficio Anagrafe" (Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, Tel. +39 0971/415159 – 161; Contrada Sant'Antonio La Macchia Tel. +39 0971/415367, Via Milano, tel. + 39 0971 415873; Via Nazario Sauro Tel. +39 0971/415829 – 818) that is the dedicated office located in each neighbourhood of the town where you live.

The registration is free of charge and must be carried out within the first 3 months of arrival in Italy.

Non EU students

Non EU citizen studying at university in another EU country 

If you are enrolled in a university degree programme and hold a residence title for study purposes issued by another EU member State (Schengen Area. The uniform Schengen short stay visa is currently valid for Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, pain, Switzerland and Sweden), you can enter Italy without a visa, for a maximum of 90 days in a six month period, as long as you must complete part of yuor studies at an education institution in another European Country or want to continue your studies, already started in another member State, in Italy.

To do this, you must take part in a European Union or bilateral exchange programme with the home country, or you must be admitted to stay for study purposes in a EU member state for at least two years (these requirements are not required if part of the foreign student's programme of study must be compulsory taken in Italy). Besides, the application for the residence permit must include a document, issued by your home university, attesting that the programme of study that will be taken in Italy is complementary to the programme already carried out in your home university.

Anyway, third-country students, holding a residence permit or equivalent document issued by another EU member State and valid for Italy, have to apply for the residence permit within 8 days of entering Italy to the Police Headquarters (Questura) in the Province they are domiciled in (Potenza or Matera), if the period is longer than three months.


Short term (Uniform Schengen Visa, Type C, up to 90 days)

Long term (National Vis, Type D, more than 90 days)


To learn more about Schengen Visa, please consult the related website:Schengen visa information